Page 2 Rosary BeadsPS.tif

Bishop Stanley Ott rosaries

Posted October 28, 2016 at 12:00 am

These two rosaries, a single decade and a five-decade rosary, belonged to Bishop Stanley Joseph Ott, the third bishop of the Diocese of Baton Rouge. The beads are part of a collection of personal effects donated to the diocese by Bishop Ott’s sister, Sister Aloysius Ott OP. She also donated many other intimate items, including family photo albums and the bishop’s wallet. Bishop Ott, who was a priest in the diocese, served as Bishop of Baton Rouge from 1983 until his death at the age of 65 in 1992. Photo provided by the Archives Department | Diocese of Baton Rouge

    Page 2 treasures of the diocese 1.tif

    St. Philomena Relic

    Located next to the statue of St. Anthony in St. Philomena Church in Labadieville is a reliquary. Inside the simple glass box is a cross-shaped receptacle holding a first-class relic of St. Philomena. St. Philomena lived during the early years of the church. She died around 14-years-old, but not much was known about her until her remains, which were covered in stones, were discovered in the catacomb of St. Priscilla Church in Rome in 1802. Symbols on the stones revealed that she had

    Read Full Story…

    PAGE 2 treasursPS.tif

    St Joseph Statue at St. Joseph

    St. Joseph holding the infant Jesus is one of three statues at St. Joseph Church in French Settlement that are of Portuguese origin and date to the 1200s. Two of the statues are in the old church, and the other is in the parish hall. Former pastor Father James Kinkead, who served for 18 years in French Settlement, obtained the statues, although it is uncertain how. They were found during a renovation of the rectory and eventually restored. The attention to detail on the statues is remarkable,

    Read Full Story…

    treasures of the diocese.TIF

    Our Lady of Prompt Succor Statue

    Tucked away on the right side of the sanctuary at St. Agnes Church in Baton Rouge stands a beautiful statue of Our Lady of Prompt Succor, overlooking the congregation. But the origin of Our Lady is quite different than the splendor she radiates today. Somewhere between June 1985 and August 1988 a young Missionaries of Charity volunteer told the sisters he was aware of a statue of the Blessed Virgin holding the baby Jesus. The statue was old, damaged and sitting in a garage, but the

    Read Full Story…

    treasures of the diocese.jpg

    Last Supper Marble Bas Relief

    A marble bas relief of the Last Supper stands guard over the Msgr. Borders Dining Room in the Bishop Robert E. Tracy Center. The sculpture was previously in St. Joseph Cathedral, facing the altar at an angle. The sculpture was moved when the church was renovated. Although the exact date of the installation of the sculpture at the cathedral is unknown, it was in place by 1939. The old wooden altar, which was originally built in 1896, was still in use in 1924 but by 1939

    Read Full Story…

    Page 2 tresures of the diocesePS.tif

    St. John the Baptist Grotto

    Under the direction of the late Father Victor Baron, five altar boys built this grotto in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes at St. John the Baptist Church in Brusly to mark the Marian year called by Pope Pius XII in 1954. Photo by Amy Jones | The Archives Department Diocese of Baton Rouge

    page 2 treasuresPS.tif

    St. Aloysius Church Organ

    The pipe organ at St. Aloysius Church in Baton Rouge was blessed and dedicated in February 2011.  Designed and crafted especially for St. Aloysius Church by the Casavant Freres Organ Company of St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada, the organ is unique in the diocese because it incorporates both old world and modern technology. The instrument has mechanical key action similar to the organs of Bach’s time. There is a direct mechanical connection – thin wooden strips called trackers – between the pipes and the keyboard. This connection

    Read Full Story…

    Page 2 bell treasuresPS.tif

    Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church bell

    In the early part of the 20th century, church records show this great bell and others tucked away in the belfry of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church in Plattenville which would ring regularly for recitation of the Angelus. Today, the bells no longer toll. Instead, an electronic system is used, yet even though they no longer publically ring, these metal giants still reveal the spirit of a church community that dates to 1793. At that time, the Spanish were in control of the

    Read Full Story…

    Page 2 pictures from the pastPS.tif

    Treasures From the Diocese

    A tornado ripped through Amite on April 6, 1940, destroying nearly every major building in the downtown area. The tornado destroyed St. Helena Church, pictured above, and the church hall. Directly behind the church is the rectory, which was also damaged. Weekend Mass was celebrated at a local movie theater and daily Mass was celebrated at the rectory until the current church was completed and dedicated in 1941. Photo provided by the Archives Department, Diocese of Baton

    Read Full Story…

    page 2 treasuresPS.tif

    Statue of the Blessed Mother and Child Jesus

    This statue of the Blessed Mother and Child Jesus at Sts. Anthony of Padua and Le Van Phung Church in Baton Rougecame from Vietnam and was donated by Sang Thi Nguyen in memory of Cam Van Tran. Bishop Robert W. Munech dedicated the statue, which sits behind the church in a courtyard area, on Nov. 28, 2006. A fountain area was built around the statue, which is the highlight of many of the children attending the church. Photo by Debbie

    Read Full Story…

Bla