The original Holy Ghost Church in Hammond, which could seat approximately 250 people, was dedicated on Nov. 23, 1902 by Bishop Gustave A. Rouxel, the auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of New Orleans. The church doubled its size in 1937 to accommodate 500. The first Mass in Hammond was celebrated in 1890 by Father Leander Roth, who was from nearby Gessen, at the home of Mrs. John Neelis. The Catholic community used the second floor of the Neelis family warehouse for Mass until the church was completed in 1902. The current church was dedicated by Bishop Robert W. Muench and Father Robert Perry OP on March 15, 2002. Photos courtesy of the Archives Department

Read Full Story…